From time to time I contribute opinions to the media, give presentations at conferences, or write for various publications. Here are links to presentations and articles I’ve contributed to. Contact me if you are interested in having me speak.
- B.C. government launches SAR drone pilot project, Vertical Magazine, Howard Slutsken, March 23, 2017
- A B.C. first: Heat-seeking drone used in search-and-rescue mission, CTV Vancouver, Penny Daflos, February 21, 2017
- BC Search and Rescue drones to take flight in the new year, CBC News (web), December 15 2016
- Coquitlam SAR UAV pilot program (starts at 8:28), CBC News (Vancouver), evening news, Andrew Chang, December 15 2016
- Coquitlam SAR gets a drone, CBC Radio (BC) Early Edition, Rick Cluff, December 15 2016
- Fresh dump of show helps Whistler Mountain open a day early, John Colebourn, Vancouver Sun, November 23 2016
- BC’s SAR Solution Providers, Helicopters Magazine, Paul Dixon, July 2016
- Drones join the hunt from the skies for BC Search and Rescue, Mohamed Marwen Meddah, Vancouver Sun, March 9, 2016
- Drones and Search and Rescue, Global News, Ted Chernecki, November 24 2015
- Coquitlam search team has a warning for gold seekers, Tri-Cities Now, Jeremy Deitsch, September 4 2015
- The Triumphs and Tragedies of North Shore Rescue Society, Vancouver Magazine (web & print), Frances Bula, July 2015
- Global BC Morning News with Steve Darling and Sophie Lui, Live, on air interview about the #TrailHeadSelfie and hiking safety March 18, 2015
- CKNW “Drex live”, Live on air interview about #TrailHeadSelfie and hiking safety March 16, 2015
- #TrailHeadSelfie suggested by Coquitlam Search and Rescue, Susana Da Silva, CBC News, March 14, 2015
- Unfiltered with Jill Krop, BC1 (Global); live, on air on the #TrailHeadSelfie and backcountry safety, Mar 14, 2015
- Coquitlam Search and Rescue urge hikers to post a #TrailHeadSelfie before heading out, Amy Judd, Global News, March 13, 2015
- Hikers urged to post #TrailheadSelfie to aid search-and-rescue efforts, Stephen Hui, The Georgia Strait, March 12 2015
- Coquitlam Search and Rescue is hoping for provincial OK to try using aerial drones, John Colebourn, The Province, January 27, 2015
- Use of UAVs in Search and Rescue, CBC news at 6, Jan 25, 2015
- Rescue team eyes drone technology to help search backcountry, Sonia Aslam and Mike Lloyd, News 1130 Radio & Web, January 24, 2015
- Drone technology takes off, Yuliya Talmazan, Global News BC, January 20, 2015
- SAR Techniques, CBC News at 5 with Andrew Chang, Jan 14, 2015
- Snow brings relief to North Shore ski hills — but worries in the backcountry and on city streets, John Colebourn, The Province, Jan 5, 2015
- Winter Backcountry Safety, CBC News at 5 with Rene Filipponi, Dec 22, 2014
- Walk in memory of missing Shin Noh Sept. 20, Diane Strandberg, The Tri-City News, Sept 12, 2014
- Summer a quiet one for Coquitlam search team, Jeremy Deutsch, Tri-Cities Now, September 2, 2014
- Coquitlam SAR fundraising for new mobile command centre, Sarah Payne, Tri-City News,August 14, 2014
- Drones Could Help Search And Rescue In B.C., Jesse Ferreras, The Huffington Post, British Columbia, March 23, 2014
- Unfiltered with Jill Krop, BC1 (Global); Interview about Avalanche safety with Karl Kalssen from the Canadian Avalanche Centre. March 14, 2014
- Coyle, M. (2014). Using UAVs for Search and Rescue. The Avalanche Journal,(104). 14.
An article in the Canadian Avalanche Association’s Avalanche Journal on the use of UAVs in Search and Rescue including avalanche rescue.
- Drones may join Metro Vancouver search teams, Brian Morton, The Vancouver Sun, January 31, 2014
- Kicking Horse backcountry death a warning of early season dangers, even if it shouldn’t be, John Colebourn, The Province, December 23, 2013
- Unfiltered with Jill Krop, BC1 (Global), Interview regarding push for the Silver Alert, December 14, 2013
- Shin Noh’s son wants Silver Alert? News Hour Final BC, Global, December 14, 2013
- BC urged to adopt Silver Alert plan to locate missing seniors with dementia, Wendy Stueck, The Globe and Mail, December 12, 2013
- Call in to CBC Radio One regarding Dementia and first responders, BC Almanac; audio clip used throughout the week of December 9th on CBC BC news.
- Delays with senior’s advocate disappointing, says Clark, CBC News, December 10th, 2013
- Bundle up, an acrtic chill is coming to B.C., John Colebourn, The Province, December 2, 2013
- UAVs and Ground SAR Operations, presented at Unmanned Systems Canada, Vancouver, BC, November 13 2013
A look at my investigations on the application of UAVs in Search and Rescue
- Social Media and SAR Operations, presented at SARScene in Chilliwack, BC October 22, 2013
Guidelines and opportunities on how to apply Social Media the further the goals of a SAR organization.
- Integrating Technology in Search and Rescue, session facilitator at SARScene in Chilliwack, BC, October 21, 2013
I spoke on the challenges in adopting and adapting to technological changes, integration of technology into a SAR operation, and facilitated the session which included discussion on Geographic Information Systems, changes in the telecommunications infrastructure, and Unmanned Aerial Vehicles.
- Site of crash frozen in time (video), Scott Hurst, CTV News Channel, September 12, 2013
Interview about Mitchell B-25 Bomber crash site in the Coquitlam range.
- Search teams test drones, Jeremy Deutsch, Tri-Cities Now, September 11, 2013
Interview on my investigations into the use of UAVs in SAR.
- Search and rescue drones tested in B.C. (video), Deborah Goble, CBC News, September 7, 2013
Could this drone save your life? (video), Deborah Goble, CBC News, September 7, 2013
- Drones evaluated for use by B.C. search and rescue (video), Penny Daflos, CTV News, September 7, 2013
- SAR Testing drones Saturday, Jason Roessle, Tri-City News, September 5, 2013
- Drone tested in B.C. could save lives (video), Scott Hurst, CTV News, July 25, 2013
- Calls for overhaul of BC’s Search and Rescue system (video), Tanya Beja and Peter Meiszner, Global News, August 11, 2013
Interviewed on public calls for changes to the BC SAR system, commented on funding issues being a priority.
- Local search-and-rescue among the busiest in B.C., Tyler Olsen, The Chilliwack Times, July 25, 2013
An article based on my research into SAR team call volumes.
- Campbell River search and rescue one of the busiest in B.C., Alistair Taylor, Campbell River Mirror, July 22, 2013
- Lost Burke Mountain Hiker Rescued by Coquitlam SAR, Huffington Post, July 7, 2013
- Hiker rescued by helicopter after night on the mountain, CBC News, July 2, 2013
- New Location Tracking Software Helping Search and Rescue Locate Missing People, Outdoor Vancouver, June 5, 2013
- App helps lost hikers, Jeremy Deutch, Coquitlam Now, Now Newspapers, , May 24, 2013
An article about the development of the YourLo.ca/tion service to find missing people with their cell phones.
- Coquitlam Search and Rescue uses new app to find hikers, Sarah Payne, Tri-City News, May 22, 2013
- AM/BC with Jill Krop, BC1 (Global); Interview about YourLo.ca/tion and how it was used in a recent search, with some conversation about SAR and technology in general. May 21, 2013
- YourLo.ca/tion: A way for Search and Rescue to help find lost people using their smart phone. Anne Drewa, Global BC News Hour, Video Link, Text Link, May 20, 2013
- Vancouver Island Communications Workshop; presented a more advanced version of “Best Practices in Managing Geospatial Data for SAR Teams” with specific references to British Columbia, February 9, 2013.
- Presented “How to kill yourself snowshoeing” to the Association of Canadian Mountain Guides (ACMG), continuing professional development (CPD) session, April 6 2013
- Best Practices in Managing Geospatial Data for SAR Teams, presented at SARScene 2012 in Toronto, Ontario, November 18, 2012
General advice based on 13 years of participating in SAR tasks with varying qualities of map data.
- Search and Rescue in B.C. plus an Interview with Michael Coyle, interview, appeared in OutdoorVancouver.ca, January 4 2012
My insights into how the SAR system in BC works.
- Are emotion and politics undermining rescue workers in Elliot Lake? by Douglas Quan, PostMedia news, June 27 2012
Was interviewed for an article on the Elliot Lake mall collapse, in particular my opinion that political interference was the root of the interventions in the event.
(in print, Calgary Herald, Montreal Gazette, Ottawa Citizen, online and in other PostMedia paper publications)
- Ontario’s emergency response protocols under review following Elliot Lake disaster by Adam Radwanski and Anna Mehler Paperny, The Globe and Mail, June 27th 2012
- Missing Woman found safe and sound after three day search by Jeremy Deutsch, Coquitlam Now, August 5th 2012
- Woman missing from Port Moody’s Sasamat Lake found alive and well, Christopher Reynolds, Vancouver Sun, August 6th, 2012
many other media outlets interviewed be on TV, radio and in print for this search
- Crowdsourced Search and Rescue: A case study and analysis of a recent search in Southwestern British Columbia, presented at SARScene 2011 in Winnipeg Manitoba, October 30th 2011
An analysis of the effort to find Tyler Wright who went missing in 2010 and was the subject of a 16 day long search. A local helicopter pilot strapped GoPro cameras to his helicopter and uploaded the resulting video to YouTube. Measured the effort in terms of hours spend watching the video.