Dementia Prevention and Search Resources
Since writing my four part series on dementia, I’ve had people contact me with even more resources to assist caregivers and emergency responder with the task of preventing wandering, and responding to a missing person with dementia.
Part 2: Provincial Dementia Action Plan for BC: I address some of the government response to the growing instances of dementia in the population and how there does not seem to be a component to address wandering.
Part 3: Tracking people with dementia when they wander: I talk about some of the technology used to find people who wander.
Part 4: Silver Alert: I talk about alerting systems to let the public know when a vulnerable senior is missing.
The first resource is the Alzheimer Society of Canada web site, and the safety section of their web site on Living with Dementia. They have several sections on how to prepare for a wandering subject, locating devices, and other ways to help in the response.
The Alzheimer Society of British Columbia has the following documents
- Wandering section of their web site.
- Wandering identification kit
- Wandering and Dementia: Tips for Police
- Wandering Information Kit
Another major resource is the report Search is an Emergency, which is a pre-plan for search and rescue of missing people with dementia. Intended for police, fire rescue and SAR agencies, it can give members of the public, caregivers and and families of people with dementia some insight into how quickly a search becomes a major effort. The report is useful for the references as well, as a lot of research has been done in this area.
Robert Koester has also published a book on searching for people with dementia, expanding on his existing research
- Lost Alzheimer’s Disease Search Management by Robert J. Koester
Robert J. Koester
- Lost Person Behaviour: sample chapter on Alzheimer’s Robert J. Koester
- Urban Search: Managing Missing Person Searches in the Urban Environment by Christopher S. Young and John Wehbring: general information on managing a search in an urban environment.